Restora Austin Lip Augmentation
Want To See Real Lip Augmentation Results?
Before & After Gallery
Be sure to view our lip augmentation gallery to see real patient results.Click Here
Do You Want the Perfect Pout?
The first step in perfecting your pout is understanding how and why the lips age. The lips are one of the most delicate parts of our face. Unlike the skin that covers the rest of our body, our lips are made of the same tissue that lines the inside of our mouth. The surface of the lips lack skin cells leaving them unable to hold moisture and vulnerable to dehydration. The lips also contain less melanin than the rest of the skin, making them more prone to sunburn and photo-aging. This destroys the collagen that gives our lips a plump appearance. Repeated sipping, pursing the lips, and smoking make matters worse.
Let’s look at the IDEAL lips and identify what makes them so.
The Ideal Lip Has:
- Well-defined philtral columns
- A beautifully shaped Cupid’s bow
- Distinct vermillion borders or lip edges
- Oral commissures or corners that are neutral or slightly turned up
- Fullness in certain key areas, as indicated by the “+”
- Areas of fullness in the lower lip balanced by deficiencies in the upper lip and vice versa
- A lower lip that’s 30% larger than the upper lip
We’ve listed the more common concerns our patients have when it comes to their lips and the lip augmentation solutions that are available, both surgical and non-surgical. The lips age as a unit, so it’s common to see a combination of these problems. Dr. Reid, Dr. Gordon, and our highly skilled nurse injectors have a thorough understanding and respect for what the ideal lip should look like and how to create it with lip augmentation. When it comes to lip injections, the key to a natural, beautiful lip is shaping with the chosen product, not simply filling. Overall, we offer a number of different options for lip augmentation in Austin.
You Have a Gummy Smile
“Overactive” muscles show your teeth and your gums when you smile
Tiny amounts of Botox or Xeomin can be used to reduce muscle over-activity, so only your teeth show when you smile. You will still move your mouth normally, but your smile won’t be so gummy.
Jaw surgery (no anesthesia)
You Have Vertical Lips Lines And Your Lipstick Bleeds
Repeated “pursing” and “sipping” muscle movements, from drinking out of water bottles and smoking. Loss of collagen around the mouth worsens the lines.
- Tiny amounts of Botox or Xeomin can be used to decrease muscle movement and slow the progression of new vertical lip line formation. Your mouth will still move normally and your smile won’t be affected.
- HA lip fillers and lip injections like Restylane, Belotero & Juvederm to fill in the lines.
- The combination of Botox or Xeomin and an HA filler is often more beneficial than either one alone.
- Topical anesthesia is used for lip injections.
- Fractional or Ablative Resurfacing is the best option for minimizing these lines, especially if they are deep and abundant. The top layer of the skin is removed to stimulate collagen production and resurface the skin.
- General anesthesia is used for full face resurfacing.
The Corners Of Your Mouth Turn Down – Bitterness Lines
Lack of support and loss of collagen in the corners of the mouth
- HA lip fillers and lip injections like Restylane, Perlane, Juvederm and Belotero into the base of the oral commissures (the corners of the mouth) will reverse the frown and give the corners of your mouth a subtle lift
- Tiny amounts of Botox or Xeomin can be also used to turn the corners up
- Topical anesthesia is used for lip injections
Your Lips Lack Definition
Loss of collagen. This happens along the lip line or vermilion border and philtral columns, the lines that extend downward from your nose to your lip. Lack of definition makes the mouth blend in with the rest of the face.
- HA lip fillers like Restylane, Perlane, Juvederm and Belotero can restore definition to the lip line. Lip injections are also used to enhance the philtral columns and the Cupid’s Bow.
- Topical anesthesia is used for lip injections.
Fat transfer with topical anesthesia
Your Lips Lack Volume
Loss of collagen. Restoring volume gives more support to the surrounding skin, minimizing lip lines, and wrinkles.
Lip injections. Hyaluronic Acid (HA) lip fillers like Restylane, Perlane, Juvederm and Belotero to SHAPE the lip, not simply fill it up with product with topical or dental block anesthesia.
Fat transfer to the lips or placement of Permalip lip implant(s) with topical or dental block anesthesia.
More About the Instant Fixes:
Hyaluronic acid or HA lip fillers like Restylane, Perlane, Juvederm and Belotero are commonly used to:
- restore the lip border
- minimize vertical lip lines or lipstick “bleed” lines
- re-define the philtral columns, the paired vertical lines between the nose and the lips, and the Cupid’s Bow
- fill the depressions at the down-turned corners of the mouth to reverse the sad or frowning appearance
- restore volume to the lip proper
Although they are all made of HA, these lip injections vary in where they can be injected (deep vs. superficial) and duration. During your consultation, our surgeons will explain which lip augmentation method will best achieve your specific goals.
Hyaluronic Acid Fillers Q&A
How can I prevent aging of my lips?
- Protect your lips from the sun, as they don’t have sweat glands, a protective skin layer or melanin. They are vulnerable to dehydration, sunburns, skin cancer, photo-aging and deflation
- Stop smoking
- Minimize constant puckering and pursing of your lips, as this causes collagen breakdown. Drinking through a straw, drinking from a water bottle and smoking all cause you to pucker or purse your lips
- Use our recommended at-home lip treatments
Will my lips return to normal if I decide not to re-inject them?
Yes. This is why it is so important to choose a well-trained lip injector who uses an FDA approved lip injections that will dissolve with time. Avoid any lip injections that claim to be “permanent”.
What if I can’t afford to have my lips re-injected every 6-12 months?
Permanent options are available like Permalip or fat injections to the lip. Again, avoid silicone and other permanent injection alternatives. They may seem like a wise financial investment, but the risks these lip injections pose aren’t worth it. If complications arise, it can cost you more to have your lips surgically corrected, not to mention the emotional turmoil. The only safe permanent option available at this time is Permalip implants. Fat grafting can also provide long lasting results.
How long will my results last?
You can expect your lip augmentation results to last 6-12 months. The HA lip fillers resorb the fastest in the lips because of the constant movement of our mouths.
Will I have a lot of bruising and swelling?
Your lips will feel firm and swollen for the first few days after your lip injections, and you will probably want to keep your improved pout under wraps for the first few days. You may also have bruising after your lip injections. You will be given Arnica to decrease bruising and swelling from your lip injections. You should avoid oral Vitamin E, aspirin, and other anti-inflammatories for a few days before your lip injections to minimize your risk of bruising.
Are lip injections painful?
Most patients report mild discomfort after their lip injections. The HA lip fillers have lidocaine, a numbing medication, mixed in with them. Dr. Reid and Dr. Gordon use a very effective topical anesthetic to numb the lips before your lip injections. Our goal is to make every procedure, including lip injections, as pain free as possible.
There are many Hollywood actresses with “bad lip jobs”? Why?
As Dr. Reid and Dr. Gordon always say, “The magic isn’t in the product, it’s in the injector.” A skilled injector chooses the correct product, knows the anatomy, the proper proportions, and where and how much product to place. A common mistake is to overfill the top lip with lip injections, making it larger than the lower lip. Think of the lips of a baby or young child. Their lips are full in some areas and slightly deficient in others. Their philtral columns are well defined, as is the Cupid’s Bow. Each anatomical area of the lip should be addressed separately with lip injections to sculpt and shape the lips. Other poor results occur when lip injections are placed incorrectly in the lips. Many celebrities had silicone injected into their lips because they wanted permanent lip augmentation. Silicone is NOT approved for lip injections. Lip injections with silicone causes hardening and scarring of the lips. Women are drawn to silicone because it’s permanent, but the results can be disastrous. Radiesse is also not a good choice in the lips because it is a thicker product and needs to be injected deep into tissues. Lip injections with Radiesse poses the potential for lumps, bumps, unevenness and granulomas. Often times, nodules can only be partially removed with surgical excision, which can leave a scar and permanently distort the lip.
How do I avoid the “duck lip”, the “sausage lip” or the “trout pout”?
You must choose an experienced injector to avoid having lip augmentation that looks overdone. Dr. Reid, Dr. Gordon and their highly skilled nurse injectors have advanced training in these treatments and they understand the anatomy and ideal proportions of the upper and lower lip. To achieve a natural look, the lips should be shaped with the chosen product, not just filled with lip injections. Proper shaping with lip injections takes into account your current lip shape and border, the fullness of your upper and lower lips, and the proportion of your lips in relation to your other facial features.
Permanent and Semi-Permanent Lip Augmentation Fixes
Will my lips return to normal if I remove the implant?
Is it difficult to remove the implant?
No. The implant can be removed in the office under local anesthesia. The entire process takes less than 30 minutes. The implant is removed through small incisions at the corners of the mouth. Because the implant doesn’t cause tissue ingrowth or internal scarring, it is fairly easy to remove.
How long will my results last?
With Permalip, your lip augmentation is permanent unless you decide you want to remove the implant.
Are there different lip implant sizes? How do I choose the right size?
Yes. The implant is available in a variety of sizes and lengths to achieve customized lip augmentation. At your consultation, Dr. Reid or Dr. Gordon will discuss your desires, evaluate your lips, and recommend the best option for lip augmentation in Austin.
How is Permalip different from other lip implants?
Other types of implants promote tissue in-growth and scarring, which can cause restriction of movement and asymmetries.
Is it painful? Will I be bruised and swollen?
It is done after a dental block, so you should have only a mild amount of discomfort. You may experience swelling and bruising for up to a week or more.
How is Permalip placed?
The procedure is done in our office under local anesthesia. The entire process takes 1 hour. The implant is inserted through small incisions at the corners of the mouth.
What is Permalip?
Designed by SurgiSil, Permalip implant is a patented, FDA approved lip augmentation device that is made of a soft, solid silicone elastomer. It has a smooth surface that cannot rupture or deflate. It does not cause tissue in-growth, so it can be removed easily at any time.
Fat Grafting Q&A
What are the downsides to lip injections with fat?
Rarely, resorption can be unpredictable and can lead to asymmetry. Lip fillers are a bit more precise for lip augmentation.
How long will my results last?
Fat grafting is considered semi-permanent. Some of the fat cells are resorbed after placement but results typically last for years.
Will I be bruised and swollen?
You will experience swelling and bruising for 10 days or more.
How is fat grafting to the lips performed?
Fat grafting or fat transfer involves surgically removing, with micro-liposuction, small amounts of fat from one area of the body and and placing the purified fat it into another area.
At Home Lip Augmentation in Austin
- SkinMedica TNS Lip Plump System uses a proprietary blend of human growth factors, tri peptides and collagen spheres for lip augmentation. It can improve lip texture while minimizing fine lines and maximizing lip volume.
- Step 1 or Lip Plumper uses vasodilators, which increase blood flow and draw moisture into the lips, creating plumpness and fullness. It also enhances natural lip color, so you won’t need lipstick.
- Step 2 or Lip Renewal targets collagen synthesis to support the lip contour
- SkinCeuticals Antioxidant Lip Repair uses 2 powerful anti-oxidants, Vitamin E and silymarin to prevent aging of the lips, while restoring moisture and smoothing the surface of the lips
- Topical Vitamin A like Retin-A or Tazorac to build collagen around the mouth
- Use a gentle lip exfoliator at least once a week
- Lip balm with sunscreen