Breast Implant Removal
Breast Implant Removal in Austin, TX
Explant Surgery at Restora Austin Plastic Surgery Centre
You’ve loved your breast implants for years, but it’s time for a change. If your implants are no longer working for you, it may be time to consider removing them in a procedure called explant surgery. Many of our breast implant removal patients have spent decades with implants. Whatever your reason for desiring breast implant removal, our skilled surgeons are ready to help you feel confident in your appearance after breast implant removal.
Placing implants into the breasts changes the breast tissues. Skin fat, and connective tissue stretch and expand to accommodate the volume of the implant. A successful explant does more than just remove the implant. The breast must be reshaped to restore a natural-looking and attractive breast shape. Our board-certified plastic surgeons are highly experienced in breast surgery. They have performed many explant procedures and are well-known for their results throughout Texas.
Learn more about your options for breast implant removal or revision by calling Restora Austin Plastic Surgery Centre at (512) 371-8817.
Why Do Women Remove Their Breast Implants in Austin, TX?
Most of our breast augmentation patients are delighted by their results. Requests for implant removal are rare, but when they do occur, we are here and ready to help.
There are many reasons why women may consider breast implant removal.
- No longer want breast implants
- Implant complications like capsular contracture, double bubble, leak or rupture, etc.
- Other health conditions
Many of our patients were hesitant to have their implants removed, but they are generally happy with the results that are more in line with their current aesthetics. if that’s what you want for yourself, we can support you to have the contours you want.
Restoring the Breast’s Appearance After Implant Removal- What Are My Options?
Unless your breast implant size was very small, you’ll need some type of restoration surgery to return your breasts to a natural-looking shape. Breast implants stretch the breast skin and tissue; when they are removed, patients can be left with a deflated appearance unless their surgical plan adequately addresses this issue.
Two of the most popular options for restoring the breast’s appearance after explant in Austin include:
- Fat Grafting – Removing breast implants leads to a reduction in breast volume. Fat can restore some of this volume. In a fat grafting procedure, we use liposuction to extract fat from an area of the body with excess (often the hips, abdomen, or thighs). This extracted fat is cleaned and purified before it is implanted into the breasts. The transferred fat will permanently integrate into the breast tissues, providing lasting volume and shape to the breast area. Fat grafting allows patients to maintain a larger breast size than their natural size, without the need for implants.
- Breast Lift – A breast lift reshapes the breast tissues to restore a lifted breast appearance. When implants are removed, the breast tissues often appear more relaxed. During a lift, excess skin is excised and breast tissues are lifted and shaped to create natural-looking and attractive contours. The nipple and areola may be moved to a higher position, and resizing is possible if needed.
Fat grafting and breast lift surgery can be performed separately or paired together. You’ll work with your surgeon to create a treatment plan that best meets your goals after implant removal.
Recovery After Austin, TX Explant Surgery
You’ll be sent home shortly after your explant surgery to recover. Most patients feel groggy and tired from the anesthesia. You may have tenderness and swelling in the chest area. We encourage you to rest as much as possible so your body can heal. Avoid strenuous activities until you’re cleared by your surgeon.
Some patients need drains after explant surgery. These surgical drains help to remove fluid while you heal and can reduce post-surgery complications. If you’ll need drains, we’ll teach you how to care for them and clean them. Drains are removed in-office at a follow-up visit. Removing breast surgery drains is a quick, painless process.
Frequently Asked Questions About Breast Implant Removal
- If I’m Having Problems with My Implants, Do I Have to Remove Them? Is Implant Replacement Possible? – Problems like capsular contracture may lead you to consider breast implant removal or replacement. If you need to make changes to your breasts, but would still like implants, an implant exchange or breast revision surgery may align more with your desires than breast implant removal.
- Will I Need Pain Medication During Recovery? – A comfortable recovery is one of our priorities at Restora Austin Plastic Surgery Centre. Your surgeon will talk with you about options for managing pain and discomfort after surgery. Prescription pain medication is often needed for a few days. After the initial recovery, most patients manage any discomfort using over-the-counter options. With proper medication, pain and discomfort should be minimal during the recovery process.
- How Much Does Breast Implant Removal Cost in Austin, TX? – The cost of explant surgery varies significantly depending on the complexity of the removal and which reconstruction approach you’ve chosen. We’ll talk about all your options during your consultation and will provide a detailed estimate to help you plan for the costs. Payment and financing options may be available.
- Will Insurance Cover the Cost of My Implant Removal? – Health insurance does not typically cover the cost of implant removal, but each policy is different. Talk with your insurer for complete information about your coverage or come in and visit with our team. We can help you understand your options for paying for your procedure.
- Do You Offer En Bloc Implant Removal? – Our surgeons are skilled with many types of breast implant removal surgery including en bloc removal, a type of explant surgery where the implant and surrounding tissue capsule are removed together as a whole.
Are you in need of breast implant removal in Austin, TX? The board-certified plastic surgeons at Restora Austin Plastic Surgery Centre want to meet with you. During your consultation, we’ll explore options and help you find a solution that will meet your health and aesthetic goals. Contact us to schedule your consultation today.