Regain Your Hair and Confidence with Hair Restoration
Let’s take a trip back in time to when you first started losing your hair. Do you remember the stress, the fear, and frustration? As hairlines shrink, so does self-confidence, and many of our patients report feeling embarrassment or trying to cover their hair loss with hats or special hairstyles. We know the kind of confidence that a full head of hair can provide and are pleased to offer our patients several different options for hair restoration in Austin, TX.
Get your hair and your confidence back!
Hair Loss- Why Does It Happen?
When we talk about hair loss, male pattern baldness is often the first thing that comes to mind. This is one of the most common types of hair loss and affects many men. It is caused by genetics. Although the exact causes aren’t fully understood, male pattern baldness is largely believed to be caused by sensitivity to a hormone called DHT. This sensitivity causes hair follicles to shrink and eventually leads to fewer, thinner hairs. It is easy to spot male pattern baldness because of its highly consistent pattern. It starts with thinning in the front, progresses to baldness in the front and thinning in the back, and eventually, the entire top of the head loses its hair with a horseshoe shaped pattern of hair remaining around the back of the head and over the ears.
Male pattern baldness is the most common cause of male hair loss, but it isn’t the only one. Other reasons for hair loss include:
- Alopecia, an autoimmune disease that causes hair to fall out in patches
- Cancer treatments
- Scalp infections
- Dietary problems
- Tight hairstyles that pull on the hair including ponytails, braids, and cornrows
- Thyroid problems
Most women experience hair loss too. You may be surprised to learn that about 40% of women have visible hair loss by age 40.
Treatment Options for Hair Loss in Austin, TX
We treat both male and female hair loss at Restora Austin Plastic Surgery Centre. Come in for a consultation and explore your options for hair restoration. Our treatments vary and range from medications to surgical treatments. If you have hair loss, let us help you rediscover the joy of a full head of hair. We will do a workup consisting of lab work to make sure a medical condition, such as a thyroid problem, isn’t responsible for your hair loss.
- Medications- Oral medications can stop or slow hair loss in both men and women. To determine if medication will work for you and which medications are needed, you’ll need to come in for a consultation. These treatments work best when hair loss is just beginning. Medication isn’t right for every patient.
- Topical Therapies- Medicated serums are available for treating hair loss in men and women. These topical therapies can be effective, but to maintain the benefits, the medication must consistently be applied. Once treatment stops, hair loss resumes.
- Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP)- PRP is a three-part process that uses the platelets from your blood for hair regeneration. First, blood is extracted. Then, it is processed, concentrating the platelets and plasma. This isolates the many growth factors that platelets produce. The growth factors are then injected into the scalp in areas that are experiencing hair loss. This is a newer treatment option for hair loss, but we’re delighted by the results we’re seeing in our practice.
- Microneedling- Microneedling uses small needles to systematically create micro-trauma in the scalp. This jumpstarts the body’s ability to heal and regenerate. We like to combine microneedling with PRP for optimum results. This treatment can be used to treat hair loss and yields great results for many patients.
- Regenerative Therapies Using Stem Cells- Stem cells, harvested from your body’s own fatty tissue, are filled with regenerative properties. We use a unique therapy from Regeneris Medical that combines stem cells with PRP to treat thinning hair and hair loss.
- NeoGraft Hair Transplantation- Hair transplantation can restore a full head of hair for many patients. We extract hair from the back and sides of the head. These hair follicles are resistant to hormones that cause hair loss. The full follicle is then transplanted into the areas that need additional hair. NeoGraft uses follicular unit extraction, one of the most effective forms of hair transplantation. The results are completely natural.
Get your hair back! Call Restora Austin Plastic Surgery Centre to schedule a hair restoration consultation.